07 March 2010

Confusion for Characterization

Maria L. just informed me that Faulkner was known for his characters.  If that be the case I think I might have a theory for why his writing is so hard to follow.  I'm on about page 140 and I still don't really have a clue about what the story is.  I don't really know what's going on.  Despite having no plot to follow, I do kinda have a picture in my head of the characters.

So I was sitting on the toilet thinking (sorry if that's too much information), if characterization is so important in Faulkner's writing, why is it necessary to make the plot so darn confusing?  Then it hit me: when we finish the novel, we won't be thinking about the story, because that wasn't Faulkner's point; in the end, we'll know the characters, and perhaps, that was his goal.

Anyone else have ideas?

1 comment:

  1. I'm only on page 54 (still) and character traits is something that stands out to me. It kind of reminds me of my childhood & the gang of kids up to innocent mischief, the beauty of a curious mind.

    P.S. Thanks for to toilet thinking visual, De. It's such a good spot to collect those profound links. ~_~

    ReplyDelete

respond here